Week 5 | More Music | Play Music Every Chance You Get

This past week's action proved to be tricky. I actually tried to set up a massage and a hair appointment and couldn't get in to do either at the (very limited) times that I had available (and when I could also imagine relaxing afterward enough to not erase the effects). So, instead, I will be chopping my hair off next week, and getting a massage who knows when. I was, however, able to have a much-needed date with girlfriends (even though there was a baby there.. it wasn't mine...) and also had an appointment with my chiro for some energy healing. (I leave soooooo centered... love it.) So, that was week 4. I can't say that I used my mantra enough. But having a new one every week is really turning out to be a lot. It was better when I repeated the mantra for a couple weeks and just had different actions.

I'm curious to know what you did for yourself this week!

Oh, and in a follow-up to week 3, I just wanted to share that the lucky recipient of the flowers I sent emailed to thank me and said "I don't know if one of your positive intentions for 2010 was to make the day of an unsuspecting social worker, but THANK YOU!!!" Aw. That felt good. And I like that for an action... note to self.

As for the upcoming week..

Tonight I was in the shower at the Y and someone was singing "You've Made Me So Very Happy" and I had a total flashback to my mom's Blood, Sweat and Tears album playing in the background as a kid. (Yah, do you have that song stuck in your head yet?) Anyway, what ever happened to the way I used to play music all the time? I miss that so much. Just another little piece of myself I've managed to lose. The last time I really used my Ipod regularly was when I was pregnant and when I was in labor (all 29.5 unmedicated hours of it...) Is my favorite music circa autumn 2007 a trigger? A reminder of the trauma? Hm. I have definitely nearly been avoiding it, "my music" that is. But I guess that my decreased time spent listening to music probably started when my love affair with NPR took root a decade ago. It really is a "practice" - listening to music regularly. So rambling. Sorry.

Anyway, the point is that I need more music in my life - music that I love - and somehow that is going to relate to living with positive intention. Maybe I can use music to be in the present moment, also known as my new favorite phrase, "the ever-changing now." This will be experimental. Let's see.. I'll play music that I really love that makes me feel connected to me (despite what my drummer/music aficionado husband may say about my selections). I'll try to notice musicality in the world around me. When I notice music unexpectedly, I'll tune into the present moment if I've let my mind take over. And something about dancing makes me feel like I'll be able to really tap into that concept of the ever-changing now.

-Side Note - Any mindfulness-oriented people out there? Anyone read A New Earth?

Let me know your favorite soundtracks from the week if you're following along!

Week 5
Mantra: More Music.
Action: Play music every chance you get.

ps - I thought of this earlier today, before I realized the Grammy's were on tonight. Ugh.

3 comments:

Molly Moran said...

Love this idea Amy. I actually have been thinking about music a lot for the same reason that you referenced. Labor. Oy vey. At 34 weeks my nesting instinct has kicked in to make myself the best most amazing labor mix ever. I have been turning the thought over in my mind of what music gets me centered, peaceful and joyful. Quite the range... lately it has been plenty of Bon Iver and Brandi Carlile. The best part is listening intentionally to music around me and then adding it to the list.
xo
molly

Amy said...

I totally still listen to both of my labor playlists... Isn't is wonderful to be so focused on something? I did so many awesome things when I was pregnant.. Can't believe you're 34 weeks, and can't wait to see you this weekend!!! :) Thanks for the recos! I love Brandi, but only have 1 song... need to change that. Haven't even heard of Bon Iver... album recos?

jamie smalley said...

Hi Everyone! Thanks for fixing the blog so we could leave posts. I love that you are doing this and look forward to my Monday morning email:) As of last week I did get my hair cut and colored, which felt great. Except I had the appt already set up before I had known the intention for the week. The other piece that I did was I sat and painted with Rocco which was fun! Thanks so much for putting so much energy into this project! Love you!!!