Week 31 | Just Slow Down | Walk at a Slower Pace

I am grateful to live in a place where I walk every day. I love walking. But I often find myself walking quickly, pressured by my mind-clock, which is usually running 10 minutes behind. I remember my first year in grad school when I was assisting an art history professor as part of my work-study program. I hurried through the academic halls balancing a slide carousel atop a heavy stack of books and binders. I almost tripped over the threshold into his office, catching myself just in time to look up and catch his irritated gaze.

"You are always so frantic. Just slow down."

It was kind of mean, the way he said it. But it has always stuck with me. When I notice myself hurrying about, I replay his words, take a deep breath and do as he suggested, slowing myself down. 

This week, I want to put my intention into slowing down my walking pace. This will surely lead to all sorts of slowing down - my breath, my thoughts, my overachiever pace of life. 

Not that I've read the whole thing just yet, but here is an essay written by Thoreau about walking slowly, sauntering

Thank you, Dr. Iorio for this week's mantra. 

Week 31 
Mantra | Just Slow Down
Action | Walk at a slower pace

No comments: